Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New year - 3 New illustrations.

So, when I hit a slump (an artistic slump) & I can't think of anything to draw, I start looking for inspiration. Often this involves hours of looking at blogs & drawing board, drawergeeks, etc. or I'll look through art books I have or go to the library. This week I took out one of my favorites: Norman Rockwell. He was not just an incredibly talented illustrator but a great character designer. He could fill the canvas with so much emotion & feeling. You look at his characters & they are alive in this surreal, funny environment. I could never compare myself to Rockwell, but it's something I strive for in my own illustration. To craft an image that is funny, well done & triggers a feeling. I took one of Rockwell's early illustrations (Dining Out) & adapted it to my robot. After I finished that one, the ideas started flowing & I finished 2 more illos today. It works just about every time. I said this morning that Wile E. Coyote is my spirit guide. He never gives up.


Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Facebook Google Bookmark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

man those are beyond entertaining!!

him eating a tin can could be construed as canabalism...

love what you do and how you do it

and awesome of you to share your insights to how you think with your illustrations

A great start to the new year
Keep on keepin on!